Sunday, October 18, 2009

I've actually taken some time to play some of the game modes and I feel I've played enough to finally comment on it.

Battle For The Cup
At first I was very skeptical of this mode. I thought that this mode was on its own and when you went into the playoffs in a season/dynasty mode, it wouldn't be the same. I'm not 100% sure if it is, but people do say it is. I had fun with this mode. I played out my playoff predictions and swept Calgary 4-0. I think this mode is a great multiplayer mode!

Be A Pro
BAP was something I played every now and then in NHL 09, now I'm playing a game here and there just to see how much better I can do. I don't agree with the goofy equipment updates you can get (even though I do possess those stupid gold gloves/skates/stick) but it adds that RPG element into BAP that they wanted for some reason. I played my prospects game, got A+'s throughout and got drafted first overall by Colorado! I thought to myself 'oh sweet! I'll get a chance to play'. I played 4 games in the NHL on a line with Darcy Tucker and Cody McLeod. I got a handful of points and was sent down to Lake Erie. Since then, Tucker was traded for Mike Knuble (who is injured for the season) and I managed to stay atop the point getters 20 games later. I currently sit 8th on the team in points with only 4 games played. In the AHL, I am tearing it up with 55 points in 20 games (29g-26a-74pim+44). My team is 0-3-0 when I joined and now we're 19-3-1. I only just received a promotion to the 2nd line. It's very frustrating to dominate so bad and not get a call up, but somehow I'm very determined to get to the NHL and it makes me a better player of sorts...I like this mode.

Be A GM
So many gripes. Where to start. Trade Logic maybe? I turned off CPU trades because of some of the horrific deals I witnessed. Even if you turn trades off, they still make deals at the draft and the deadline, which isn't so bad. I can live with that. The trading sequence is great but I wish they would show overalls. I never got too in depth with this mode as I keep quitting to update my rosters, but I know soon enough I'll use My BE-A-GM profile guide and try to be accurate to a GM. The one thing I noticed that bugs me in this game is that there are no RFA's. After my first year Patrick Kane was a free agent. That made me a little sad.

EASHL
Our EASHL team is a success. We're not a bunch of All-Stars but we've had some amazing games. Currently we sit at 28-50-7. Not very impressive I know but I think thats because we have more fun trying to score NOT cutting to the net for the cross crease pass which seems to go in every time. We've had great TIP goals and SLAPPERS from the point, not to mention some great defensive play by all players on the team. Here are my individual stats at a B- ranking:
56GP__17G__23A__40PTS__-33__296PIM__6PPG__193HITS*__53BS*__422SHOTS
* denotes leading the team.
I've taken on more of a defensive role as I love staying back and hitting guys or stepping up on the point and blasting a slap shot through a screen. I also hold 9 of 20 records which is another reason to play this game, I'm glad they included a record book. I love playing with everyone of my teammates and I have alot of fun doing it, I just wish cheesing was down.

Gameplay
You know a lot hasn't changed from last years game, but there is still enough to notice a difference in this years game. I like that not every goal goes in, and I like that it's not so easy to win anymore, and when it does become too easy, there is sliders to adjust. I hope I don't get to that point soon because I like the way I'm playing now :) The new board play mode isn't too bad, I find it more effective against human players than CPU players as they will dish the puck very quickly when they see me near. I often get holding penalties because of this. The first person fighting, still needs some work, but it is a huge improvement over previous years' fighting. One thing I had to get used to was the controls. When the demo came out I tried to use the default controls (I am a classic controls kind of guy) and I didn't know you could change it to classic so I was FORCED to learn the new controls. Now I'll say I'm a whiz and I'm glad I had to learn them. You can play more of a complete game with all the new controls compared to classic controls.

Sound
I think the music in this game is terrible and very annoying. I don't care much for these bands and I usually turn it low to blast some of my own music. During the game, I shut up the commentators and turn up the on ice sounds. Its a much nicer way to listen to the game as the commentary doesn't distract you.

Graphics
Graphics isn't a big deal for me, especially since it can't get any worse than 2k (although they did make substantial improvements this season). One thing is the Arenas. I honestly cant tell if I'm in GM place or Joe Louis Arena. Sorry. One more bug that is kind of annoying me is the Flyers home jersey. van Riemsdyk goes past the pre-inserted name plate and just looks ridiculous.


Fun Moments
Playing around has generated some fun moments for me, which I will share with you! EDIT: I originally had the videos posted within this post but they got cutoff by the sidebar, so now there is links. ENJOY!

"i hate the 94 controls"
I wanted to get the achievement for using the 94 controls. Figured it was easy enough. So I'm playing Tampa vs Bridgeport and Dustin Kohn goes into board play. Since there is no board play button in the 94 controls, I try to hit him....

"kneez"
I was playing the 'Battle for the Cup' mode as Philly vs Calgary. I just scored my 4th unanswered goal to earn an achievement. On the ensuing faceoff, this happened. On the delayed call I managed to get the 'Score with your goalie pulled' achievement.

"35 game injury"
What happens in this video resulted in a 35 game injury, and a huge boarding penalty for me. This is from NHL 09 but I thought I'd share it because it's one of my favorite hits, and I dont see it as often in NHL 10.

0 comments:

 

with help from cody bown?