Thursday, October 1, 2009

The Vancouver Canucks have started the season 0-3 which is highly uncharacteristic for a Stanley Cup contender. Despite losing three games, one unfortunate stat is that Roberto Luongo was pulled in the most recent game versus Columbus, AT HOME, in their home opener, which I was at. While many Canucks fans have hurt ankles jumping off the bandwagon and pressing the panic button, this Canucks fan has the solution.

Coach AV, as well as the team plays it safe in the media saying that there are team lapses which are causing their losses. I for one believe our losses are based more on poor individual performances. There has not been one player who I've thought 'Man this guy deserves to be here'. AV and Mike Gillis had said during their 7-0-2 pre-season that they do not cut players, players cut themselves. Those words only seemed to stick with one player in my mind, and that player is Tanner Glass who gets his first start in Vancouver tonight.

One player I have never been happy with is Willie Mitchell. What happened to you? When we signed Mitchell I was excited because of the grit and intensity that he brought to every shift versus Todd Bertuzzi. That seemed to disappear when he came to the Canucks. His 40 foot long stick only hurts our squad as he fumbles the puck on a regular basis. He got a couple of points versus Columbus the other night, but he still in my books one of our worst defenseman. I think Aaron Rome (who actually looked decent in preseason) should play in place of Mitchell one game.

Sergei Shirokov, had such pressure to perform, and sadly he is not. He is easily thrown off the puck and hasn't registered a quality shot in three games. I think he will be sent down within 10 games. I don't what they'd do, I guess it all depends on how Glass performs but sadly he isn't a 2nd line player and they need someone with scoring prowess to help the Sedin line generate goals until Demitra is back.

Rick Rypien and Darcy Hordichuck have not dropped the gloves once this season. I dont know what they are trying to do but when you go 0-3 you need your tough guys to go out there and set an example quick with a huge forecheck and some fights as well.

AV has to be my biggest disappointment with Vancouver so far. I think Mike Gillis made a mistake extending his contract during pre-season. Versus Columbus the other night, he chose to keep the Sedins/Shirokov on the ice for the powerplay which extended over a few minutes, which led to a goal. When Vancouver got burned hard, AV left the same line out and Columbus scored again 18 seconds later. Opposing teams d-men are really getting used to shutting down the cycle game, and that is what AV is rolling on al 4 lines, which is why you're not seeing amazing pressure throughout the game, and why we're not scoring goals as much, despite out shooting the opposing team.

There is no doubt in my mind that the Canucks will bounce back, but digging themselves a hole early isn't helping, BUT if were going to go on a losing streak, might as well do it now. Canucks fans hold onto your hats because there are still twenty something days left this month, which happens to be our worst month to play in. But we will bounce back.

1 comments:

wizworm said...

I agree Skrody, Vancouver (and Bobby Lou) will turn it around.

Just look at the game tonight: 7-1 Vancouver against the Habs. I heard Montreal didn't play well (can't get the puck up to their forwards with Markov out) but I also heard Vancouver looked sharp.

Also, I'm really jealous you got to see Columbus in person!

 

with help from cody bown?